Saturday, December 21, 2002

Friday's Yediot also interviews American author John Irving. Irving visited Israel in 1982 and is one of those people who blames "fundamentalism from both sides" of the Israel/Palestinian conflict. Also he said:

F--- intellectuals. In the last 2 years, in my travels to Europe, there's a heavy and unpleasant atmosphere of hostility to you [Israelis], which in my eyes amounts to antisemitism in sophisticated language. I don't understand why every runny-nose sees an obligation to blame Israel for all the world's ills - after he finishes blaming America. Regarding my country I understand the controversy... But Israel? its actual existence? after the Holocaust and everything? How can they be so arrogant?

(my translation of Yediot's translation of Irving's words)

No comments: