Tuesday, October 08, 2002

This really shouldn't be necessary, but Saeb Erekat's April 10 assertion on CNN that 500 Palestinians were killed in Jenin appears here.
MIDDLE EAST (Cnn) -- In the "profughi slaughter" to the field of Jenin they have been killed more than 500 Palestinian. Saeb Erekat, the head of the Palestinian negotiators has asserted, in a declaration to Cnn
(from CNN Italy - Translation by Google)


Here's Erekat on CNN on April 15 where he clearly alludes to his earlier accusation:
Look, Bill, I told you yesterday, if the number of Palestinians who were killed in that refugee camp is as small as they say, I'm willing to come to Jenin and say we made a mistake. But when Sharon tonight says it's not dozens, but it's not 500, what is it, 400, 300? What is it? And the point is about the civilians. Where are the civilians in this refugee camp? Is there a refugee camp left?

You know, I have a list of 1,600 Palestinians now from this refugee camp who called me. People are missing their mothers, their fathers, their daughters, their husbands, their wives, their little children, families that were fragmented, families that haven't seen anything other than the atrocities and war crimes in this refugee camp. And I stand that there were crimes committed in this refugee camp. This was a flagrant violation of the international law. And I stand by the term massacres were committed in the refugee camps. And I know for sure that witnesses told me that they dug various graveyards and had buried a lot of people...

Ali Abunimah and Nigel Parry at the "Electronic Intifada" say that "no Palestinian ever made the charge that 500 people had been killed in Jenin" - but it can't be that they are unaware of this CNN transcript.... so what does that make them?

No comments: