Sunday, June 02, 2002

A personal anecdote: several years back (might have been 1997) I went on a couple of dates with a woman whose mother was a Jewish Israeli and whose father a Palestinian Muslim (and a "militant" according to a rumor). Her family went to live in Jordan when she was young and she attended an Islamic girls' school. Speaking both Hebrew and Arabic fluently, she began working for the Jordanian trade ministry after the Israel-Jordan peace agreement and eventually moved back to Israel.

After we had gotten to know each other a little (and this having been the bumpy middle of the Oslo period), I asked her if she thought peace with the Palestinians was possible. She immediately broke into tears - and I felt horrible. I quickly apologized, and I understood that yes, she did think peace was possible. Actually, it's probably more accurate to say that she wanted and believed in peace.

No comments: